National Simultaneous Storytime (NSS) is an important campaign held annually by the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA) that aims to encourage more young Australians to read and enjoy books.
Every year a picture book, written and illustrated by an Australian author and illustrator, is read simultaneously in libraries, schools, pre-schools, childcare centres, family homes, bookshops and many other places around the country. Now in its 19th year it is a colourful, vibrant, fun event that aims to promote the value of reading and literacy using an Australian children's book that explores age appropriate themes, and addresses key learning areas of the National Curriculum for Grades Foundation to Year 6 and the pre-school Early Learning Years Framework.
For more information on NSS, please visit the ALIA webiste here.
The CBCA supports the Simultaneous Storytime aims:
- promote the value of reading and literacy;
- promote the value and fun of books;
- promote an Australian writer and publisher;
- promote storytime activities in public libraries and communities around the country;
- provide opportunities to involve parents, grandparents, the media and others to participate in and enjoy the occasion.